Co-Sponsored by the Consultants' Training Institute® and the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts®
|Program Description||Who Should Attend|
|How You Will Benefit||Schedule|
|What You Will Cover||Pricing|
The Truth, The Whole Truth—Storytelling and Persuasion
This program has been created and is presented by Jesse Wilson, jury trial consultant and communications specialist, and Michael Kaplan, forensic expert and educator.
As every trial lawyer knows, the best story wins. Stories are the ultimate tools of persuasion. They are the emotional glue that connects you, the expert witness, to the jury. You may be the most skilled, the most educated and the most respected expert in your discipline, but in the courtroom, this is not enough. To be persuasive you need to frame your direct testimony into a compelling narrative, so that jurors don’t just listen...they care…and they embrace your opinions.
Expert witnesses, however, may not recognize that they have a story to tell. They are typically very factual, speak tech talk, and deliver testimony without much flavor. The result is that the jurors will be confused, and the experts will cancel each other out.
After completing this workshop, attendees will be able to:
- Describe the differences between accurate, factual, and professional testimony, and testimony that is delivered as a compelling story
- Define the expert’s story and distinguish it from counsel’s story
- Summarize the key components of the experts work that can be woven into the expert’s story
- Identify the emotional touch points to be integrated into the expert’s story
- Create a story that is accurate, on point, and professional, while at the same time captivating, compelling, and persuasive
- Prepare counsel to present your direct examination in a way that facilitates your testimony as a story rather than merely a series of facts and opinions
- Distinguish yourself from the opposing expert
Back to Top
Day 1: Integrating Storytelling Into Expert Testimony
On day 1 of this hands-on workshop we will take a deep dive into the world of expert testimony, and how storytelling makes a difference. We will work with each attendee in the defining of the expert’s story, the integration of the expert’s work, experience, and opinions into the story, and strategic approach to telling the story in a manner that is professional and objective, but also compelling and supportive of theme of the case.
Day 2: The Courtroom
On day 2 of the workshop we put things into action. We move into a courtroom setting where each attendee will take the witness stand and give expert testimony. We will guide each attendee through the delivery of their direct testimony including presentation of their qualifications, assumptions, methodology, evidence, analysis, and opinions in a manner that is both persuasive and compelling. Cross-examination of each expert will follow. After the testimony has concluded, our seasoned faculty members will provide a positive and constructive critique of each expert.
Financial forensics experts, business valuation experts, CPAs, professionals who serve as expert witnesses, and attorneys.
Back to Top