| How to Structure the Sale of a Business
Program Type: VideoCast (Audio,Video, PPT Presentation)
Program Level: Basic
Prerequisites: Basic finance and accounting are both assumed prerequisites.
Advanced Preparation: None
Delivery Method: Group Internet-Based
CPE Credits: Two (2) Hours
Fields of Study: Finance
Shipping Weight: 0lbs. 0oz.
Business advisors and owners alike will be involved in the purchase or sale of a closely held business. This webinar will acquaint the attendee with a basic knowledge of traditional sale preparation techniques, transaction frameworks, and setting expectations on valuations.
- Recognize the general economic differences between asset and equity purchases
- List questions to ask going into a sell-side transaction scenario
- Identify and list common "sticking points" in transactions and understand how to minimize them
- Distinguish reasonable valuations from unsupportable expectations
- Describe at least three fundamental transaction structures
Who Should Attend
Practioners and CEOs
Dr. Carl Sheeler brings wisdom gained from his 1,200 plus engagements and 25 years of strategic planning, governance, business operations, finance, and advanced analytics experiences to bring clarity to complex risk identification, measurement, management, and mitigation issues faced by family offices and businesses. A Court/IRS qualified expert, he addresses the 6T’s common to multigenerational families of wealth and their advisors wishing to get from here to there as seamlessly as possible:
- Transfers – Divesting, from ESOP to gifting or partial equity interest sale
- Taxes – Elegant options in conjunction with investment, legal, and accounting advice
- Transitions – Strategic and holistic focus on opportunities and value building
- Transformations – Identifying risks and unique opportunities that don’t follow the herd
- Transactions – Institutional caliber, independent 3rd party guidance on M&A and liquidity
- Trouble – Family disputes over fiduciary duty, equity value, shareholder rights, and governance
Dr. Sheeler, alongside BRG’s staff of 900+, is a thought-leader who harnesses both financial and human capital to serve founders, boards, key decision makers, staff, family, and their trusted advisors.
He distills complex issues and relevant facts into opinions and advice that are both understandable and actionable. He has the humility and honor of service as a combat U.S. Marine officer and father of five with three liquidity events under his belt.
Dr. Sheeler serves on numerous for profit and non-profit boards. He is the author of the John Wiley & Sons book titled Equity Valuation, a treatise which addresses scaling 8- to 10-figure companies and has presented or published 200+ times for entities such as the American Institute of Certified Public Accountants, the American Bar Association, the Federal Bar Association, and other organizations on value, strategy, and governance.
As a Strategic Value Architect and Chief-of-Staff he masters the alignment of involved parties to ensure a vision is not only clearly planned and articulated, but is acted upon and measured. His uncommon knowledge of equity value enhancement (and knowing with whom to find answers) has served dozens of family offices and hundreds of family businesses across most asset classes and industries.