Chief Operations Officer’s Report—First Quarter 2023 | Post-Pandemic and the Year Ahead of Us
Post-Pandemic and the Year Ahead of Us
Brien K. Jones
Chief Operations Officer and Executive Vice President of Business Development
Demonstrating the value of membership.
“NACVA has more credentialed appraiser members than both the AICPA and American Society of Appraisers (ASA) combined. – BVWire | Issue#244-2 | January 18, 2023
Congratulations newly credentialed members!
Log into your account, update, and personalize your profile listing. It is a strong source for referrals and for building your support network.
Log into your account at NACVA.com. Take advantage of the marketing resources available for members.
- Commercial style videos in specialty areas of practice that you can embed on your website.
- CVA and MAFF professional information sheets that you can brand for your firm and practice.
- Press release templates to help publicize your newly earned credential.
- Downloadable NACVA, CVA, and MAFF logos and seals.
Check out the EconAssist® benefits included with membership.
Refer to the recently published Chart of Member Benefits. Take advantage of the resources; there is a lot there. Not like what you will find with most associations where, by and large, benefits are either insignificant or not related to the services the association is supposed to be supporting. NACVA|GACVA member benefits are meaningful and substantive, and the product of both paying attention and listening to our members, and painstakingly going about creating, developing, refining, and beta-testing programs so they really work for our members.
Looking for talent or new professional opportunities? Check out the Job Opportunities Board.
Never stop learning. Don’t be afraid to ask for help.
NACVA to publish a new book on Business Valuation in 2024.
Business Valuation: Practitioner’s Guide to Valuing Privately Held Businesseswill be published by Wiley and available wherever books and eBooks are sold in 2024.
The book title references the 1991 origin and intent of the Certified Valuation Analyst® (CVA®) credentialing program, now a globally available, 45+ hour, virtual, in-person, and self-study training program. It will be the seminal curriculum providing a complete and comprehensive roadmapfor the internationally recognized core body of knowledge on how to value private business enterprises. The CVA is the world's premiere valuation credential and is the only valuation credential accredited by both the National Commission for Certifying Agencies® (NCCA®), the accreditation body of the Institute for Credentialing Excellence™ (ICE™), and the ANSI National Accreditation Board® (ANAB®).
The authorship team is comprised of esteemed NACVA faculty, instructors, board members, and advisors.
Peter Agrapides, Marc Bello, Rod Burkert, Lorenzo Carver, Janae Castell, Richard Gray, Robert Grossman, Alex Kindler, Mark Kucik, Karen Lascelle, Peter Lohrey, Lari Masten, Nick Mears, Zach Meyers, Dave Miles, Carl Steffen, Garth Tebay
2023 National State Chapter Days coming soon.
The mission of NACVA’s State Chapters is to bring NACVA members within the state into a welcoming environment where members, new and tenured:
- Can share experiences.
- Develop alliances and networks.
- Work together to build recognition in the community for NACVA and its talented and credentialed members.
- Gain knowledge about NACVA and the wealth of services it provides to support members in building successful careers.
- Enhance member’s knowledge through timely, cutting-edge educational programs.
- Facilitate certified member’s compliance with recertification.
To assist with the reboot of engaging and successful State Chapter activity in the wake of the pandemic, HQ launched and administered National State Chapter Days in July and November 2022. The State Chapter Days are virtual mini conferences drawn from sessions presented during recent Business Valuation and Financial Litigation Super Conferences that received the highest evaluation scores from session attendees. We surveyed State Chapter officers to rank these sessions and, from their feedback, coordinated the National State Chapter Days. Seven (7) hours of CPE was provided in addition to GrubHub credit for lunch. Recommended CPE Bonus Point Programs were scheduled with the National State Chapter Days to support credential holders due for tri-annual recertification.
Save the dates for the 2023 National State Chapter Days:
- June 14, 2023
- October 11, 2023
- November 15, 2023
The Future of the Profession—Championing, Mentoring, and Coaching CVA Candidates
We continue to experience solid growth in candidates applying for, pursuing, and earning the Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA) and Master Analyst in Financial Forensics (MAFF) credentials. For CVA candidates particularlythere are opportunities for seasoned valuators to champion the next generation of CVAs through mentoring, coaching, and by supporting the grading of CVA candidate case study (experience requirement) reports.
The greatest challenge to successfully meeting all the criteria required to earn the CVA credential is completing the Case Study. This process requires the candidate to perform a business valuation based on a sample Case Study provided by NACVA. It is a lot of work, and if this is the first business valuation performed, it can seem daunting.
Coaches for CVA Candidates provide mentoring and support helping candidates overcome hurdles and decisions they will confront throughout the valuation process and drafting the report. Seasoned valuation professionals can applyto be a CVA Candidate Coach. Compensation and other benefits are extended to coaches.
The CVA Exam and Grading Committee/Team is a group open to NACVA members who are credentialed by NACVA with five or more years’ experience providing business valuation services. They, along with HQ, have the responsibility for reviewing and gradingt he business valuation case studies (or demonstration reports) submitted to HQ for peer review and assessing if candidates meet NACVA’s Experience Threshold prior to NACVA awarding its CVA designation. Compensation and other benefits are extended to graders. We encourage you to apply if you are interested in joining this team.
Many thanks are extended to the following NACVA members and credential holders who are championing our future CVAs as a coach and/or case study grader. Apply today if you are interested in joining these teams.
Mike Blake, Gregory Clark, Darrell D. Dorrell, Richard Eichman, Rick Gray, Sarah Greifenberger, Charles Grigsby, Mark Hanson, Chad Hudson, Karl Jahnsen, John Janicek, Alex Kindler, Zach Meyers, Ted Phelps, Pat Rafanelli, Alina Rivera, John Sanders, Debra Sinclair, Don Wisehart, Zack Zimmerman
Bridging academia and practice.
I am honored to have served as the Vice President-Practice for the AAA-FAS for the past few years. Through this role and by extending practitioner-centric resources to the section members, we have been able to strengthen our efforts to attain and disseminate knowledge, foster research and publishing opportunities, and cultivate career opportunities for students and faculty.
NACVA | GACVA proudly co-sponsored the AAA-FAS 2023 Forensic Accounting Research Conference that was held March 03–04, 2023, in Salt Lake City, UT, and the networking reception was held at NACVA HQ’s new offices and conference center. Several NACVA members hold leadership positions with the section.
- Bill Black served as the program co-chair for the 2023 conference and is Treasurer for the section.
- Jim DiGabriele is the incoming editor of the AAA-FAS Journal of Forensic Accounting Research( JFAR).
- Richard Riley is a past President of the section and is an Associate Editor for JFAR.
- Debra Sinclair is the current Vice-President-Academic.
- Peter Lohrey, Sri Ramamoorti, Charles Russo, and Christopher Young are Associate Editors for JFAR.
- Ramamoorti also chairs the section’s Professional Association Liaison Committee.
Ongoing support to the AAA-FAS will include:
- Collaborative publishing opportunities with The Value Examiner, the AAA-FAS Journal of Forensic Accounting Research, and Journal of Forensic and Investigative Accounting (JFIA). The JFIA is distributed by NACVA and is published in cooperation with Texas A&M University-Corpus Christi and Louisiana State University, E.J. Ourso College of Business, Department of Accounting. NACVA member Larry Crumbley is the senior editor for the JFIA.
- Hosting BVFLS Career Days on university and college campuses where State Chapter leaders and NACVA members can share perspectives on the vibrant career opportunities in our profession. Want to support a BVFLS Career Day? Contact me!
- Providing practitioner-centric, turnkey business valuation and financial litigation curriculum for use in the classroom.
- Extending one-year complimentary Academician membership with NACVA|GACVA. If you have a colleague(s) who are full-time academicians, refer them to join NACVA.
The Pro-Bono Task Force of NACVA’s Litigation Forensics Board announce a pro-bono service project in cooperation with Start Small Think Big. Regularly scheduled Day of Service projects will be organized to coincide with the 2023 Business Valuation and Financial Litigation Super Conferences and National State Chapter Days. Start Small Think Big is a nonprofit organization that assists small business owners from marginalized communities by connecting small business owners to volunteer professionals who offer their expertise in specific, time bound, one-on-one virtual engagements.
Judicial Education Training and Development Team formed.
The newly formed team will develop and deliver training to business court judges to help them better understand business valuation and damages experts who appear in the courts. What judges should know about how standards of value impact decisions and discussions on overlooked key elements by attorneys and experts will drive the training. Tools for interpreting financial expert testimony, and insights on the right questions to ask and when will also be covered. Team members include:
- Marc Bello
- Robert Carter
- Chris Hamilton
- Dorothy Haraminac
- Michael Kaplan
- Lari Masten
- Kerrie Merrifield
- Zach Meyers
- Introduction/Overview—SOAP | Standards of Value, Objectivity, Assumptions, Professional Standards
- Demystifying Business Valuation
- Demystifying Economic Damages
- Not All Experts are Created Equal
- Discovery and the Financial Expert
- Panel Discussion/Open Forum—Expert Advice to the Judges
Leadership in Action—Governance Board Updates
We continue to pioneer the profession and accomplish great things for our members, credential holders, and the profession at large with support from our member-elected board members. Thank you for your service!