| Business Valuation Venture Capital Forum
Product Deactivated 11/8/2022 AB
Program Type: Recorded Webinar (Audio, PPT Presentation)
Program Level: Update
Prerequisites: Participants need a background in the subject area and desire to keep current.
Advanced Preparation: None
Delivery Method: Group Internet-Based
CPE Credit: Two (2) Hours
Fields of Study: Auditing
Shipping Weight: 0lbs. 0oz.
2012 was the most brutal on record for venture capitalists trying to reconcile three seemingly incompatible indications of value:
1. The general partner and investing professionals’ value (often post-money value divided by common stock equivalents)
2. The 409A valuations done for high-growth company tax compliance and Topic 718
3. The Topic 820 Fair Value and related disclosures ultimately reported to limited partners in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
After this webinar, the attendees will be able to articulate the primary advantages of option pricing models (OPMs) over simple waterfalls when deriving fair value estimates; identify the most common errors in OPMs and their consequences to investors, employees, and regulators; list five free, or extremely inexpensive, resources any CFO can use to test OPM assertions for sanity and differentiate between last round back-solve mechanics and enterprise value allocation mechanics.
After completing this webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Reproduce techniques that enable quick reconciliation of risk premiums and volatilities with indications of value from market and income approaches
- Describe the top five auditor and valuator mistakes encountered in 2012’s audit season
- Prepare ahead of time for the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) and GAAP issues that will impact financial reporting, acquisitions, and IPO filings in 2013
Who Should Attend
Venture capitalists who are interested in further understanding the topics discussed.
Lorenzo Carver, MBA, MS, CPA, CVA
Mr. Lorenzo Carver is Founder/CEO of Liquid Scenarios, a technology-based financial business intelligence solution company that provides services and software to investors, practitioners, entrepreneurs, and academics on how to measure and realize high-growth venture value. Mr. Carver has a 20-year track record of helping thousands of clients understand how to measure, plan for, and achieve rapid value changes in high-growth private companies.
He is inventor of the Carver Import Algorithm, which enables importing financial reports in seconds, without data tagging or manual data entry, and converting them into interactive models anyone can use immediately. He’s also the inventor of Search2Model and holds a patent on VC valuation technology. He is the author of Venture Capital Valuation (John Wiley & Sons, Hoboken, 2011) and the author and sole developer of BallPark Business Valuation (1999), the #1 selling, award-winning small business valuation solution software covered by Bloomberg Businessweek, Enterpreneur, Inc,. and the CPA Software News.
Mr. Carver has developed of over 200 strategic plans for information technology and life sciences companies and participated in over $1 billion in financing rounds as an advisor and planner. Noted as one of the Top 100 Free Sites by PC Magazine, he authored and produced an online sample business plan used by well over 3,000,000 students, teachers and entrepreneurs.
In 2012, software and services designed by or performed by Mr. Carver were used to value equity interests in venture backed companies with total equity value indications in excess of $40 billion.