| ESOPs as An Exit-Planning Vehicle
Program Type: Recorded Webinar (Audio, PPT Presentation)
Program Level: Basic
Prerequisites: Previous training or experience with the fundamentals of accounting, finance, economics, and business writing.
Advanced Preparation: None
Delivery Method: Group Internet-Based
CPE Credits: Two (2) Hours
Fields of Study: Accounting
Shipping Weight: 0lbs. 0oz.
Employee stock ownership plans (ESOPs) are popular forms of deferred compensation plans and can be effective tools for exit planning. ESOPs provide tax advantages for the business owner seeking to plan for ownership succession and retirement while retaining control of the business. Structured properly, ESOPs can enhance the company’s liquidity, preserve working capital, reduce a business owner’s income tax burden, provide the business with tax deductions, and offer tax-deferred income to employees.
After completing this Webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Recognize the magnitude of the ownership succession planning opportunity created by the aging baby boomer business owners
- Explain what an ESOP is and how it works
- Summarize the tax benefits of ESOPs for selling shareholders and for the sponsoring company
- Verbalize the critical role of valuation advisors in the ESOP process
- Propose a planning strategy for dealing with the minority interest discount in ESOP transactions
- Explain the many ways ESOPs can financed using bank debt, seller financing, etc.
- Cite the characteristics of companies that are good ESOP candidates
Who Should Attend
Professional advisors who work with closely held companies that are considering their ownership and management succession (exit) planning opportunities
Kelly Finnell, JD CLU, AIF®
Mr. Kelly Finnell is one of the nation’s premier ESOP and ownership succession planning consultants and one of the most sought-after speakers on this subject. He has spoken at more than 200 conferences and meetings throughout the U.S. Mr. Finnell has published 12 articles on the use of ESOPs in ownership succession planning and is the author of one of the most highly acclaimed books on the subject, The ESOP Coach Using ESOPS in Ownership Succession Planning. Mr. Finell has spent his entire professional career (more than 30 years) helping small to midsize business owners design and execute succession strategies and ESOPs.