| Trademark and Copyright Damages
Program Type: VideoCast (Audio,Video, PPT Presentation)
Program Level: Basic
Prerequisites: Previous training or experience with the fundamentals of the subject matter.
Advanced Preparation: None
Delivery Method: Group Internet-Based
CPE Credits: Three (3) Hours
Fields of Study: Accounting
Shipping Weight: 0lbs. 0oz.
This webinar focuses on the legal foundations, methodology, best practices, and current trends in business damages and infringement of patents, trademarks, copyrights, and other intellectual property.
After completing this webinar, attendees will be able to:
- Apply quantitative methodologies in the measurement of damages
- Apply damages methods and models appropriate to the facts and circumstances (and the governing law)
- Apply advanced damages concepts in preparing a damage calculation that will withstand scrutiny
- Evaluate business interruption insurance and damage claims
- Discuss forms of intellectual property damages
- Explain the similarities and differences in utility patent, design patent, trademark, copyright, and trade secrets damages
- List relevant cases addressing intellectual property damages
- Apply valuation concepts to intellectual property damages
- Identify the basic components to address in an intellectual property damages expert report
- Describe and understand the recent history of the entire market value rule (EMVR)
- Recognize the relevant considerations in whether or not license agreements are sufficiently comparable
Who Should Attend
Financial and litigation professionals
Rick Bero, CPA, ABV, CVA, CLP, CFF
Mr. Richard F. Bero is the managing director of The BERO Group. He is a Certified Public Accountant (CPA) and a Certified Valuation Analyst® (CVA®). Mr. Bero received his BBA in accounting and finance from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Mr. Bero provides accounting and financial consulting services and expert testimony pertaining to economic damages and valuation issues in a wide range of litigation matters with an emphasis on intellectual property and commercial litigation matters. His experience spans more than 27 years—and he has testified as an expert more than 125 times in trials, depositions, arbitrations, and other hearings. Mr. Bero has testified in federal courts across the country and has been named an expert in approximately 30 states.
Mr. Bero’s intellectual property valuation and qualification experience includes utility and design patents, trademarks, copyrights, trade dress, and trade secrets. He has served as an expert in intellectual property litigations concerning a wide range of technologies, including: pharmaceutical, electronics, medical imaging, medical devices, construction and heavy equipment, automotive, consumer products, and many others.
Mr. Bero’s experience also spans a wide array of commercial litigation and bankruptcy matters. His commercial litigation experience includes: breach of contract, tortious interference, false advertising, dealership disputes, lender liability, and other matters.
The BERO Group is a former division of Corporate Financial Advisors, LLC, a firm Mr. Bero co-founded in 1995. Prior to co-founding Corporate Financial Advisors, LLC, he was the Wisconsin practice leader for Coopers & Lybrand’s National Litigation & Claims Service practice, and an executive consultant with Peterson Consulting in Chicago and Milwaukee.
Mr. Bero has presented, instructed, and written articles on topics including: intangible assets, intellectual property damages, working with experts, and various accounting issues. He has authored a chapter on patent infringement damages in The Comprehensive Guide to Lost Profits Damages for Experts and Attorneys, is the lead instructor of the intellectual property damages course for the National Association of Certified Valuators and Analysts® (NACVA®), and is a former instructor for an international CPA review course.